More News

Just thought I'd share a bit of an update on what's going on with me health-wise.

Yesterday I received an email with all of my test results from my recent bloodwork with my new doctor, Dr. Poppy. The testing showed several deficiencies--magnesium, iron, and vitamin D. I've heard many people are deficient in magnesium, and I've been vitamin D deficient multiple times, so neither of these shocked me. Being low in iron was a little surprising, though. I have recently started taking a prenatal that includes iron, so hopefully given time, all will be up to par again.

The test revealed some other information as well. The first big piece of that puzzle was a progesterone deficiency. Both myself and Dr. Poppy suspected this, but it was "nice" (if nice is the right word) to have some sort of definite information on that. For those who may not be aware, progesterone is *hugely* important in getting pregnant and sustaining a pregnancy. Essentially, it prepares the lining of the uterus (endometrium) for a fertilized egg, allowing it to implant successfully. Without progesterone, pregnancy is unlikely, if not impossible, to occur.

So where to from here?

Well, the first step is to try a medication. Before we got pregnant with Selah, my doctor had me trying a medication called Clomid, which helps in the ovulation process and may also encourage progesterone production. Dr. Poppy is not keen on Clomid due to some of the side effects, so we will be trying a different medication this time around. I am hopeful that it will do the trick!

The second big piece we discovered through this bloodwork is that I am now insulin resistant. I've had testing done before that did not show insulin resistance, so it seems like this is a new thing. Basically, this means that my body is not processing sugars properly, leading to high saturation of sugar in the blood. Unfortunately, if things continue, over time I could develop type 2 diabetes.

Having been diagnosed with PCOS several years ago, I knew that I was at a higher risk for insulin resistance (it's actually very common in PCOS sufferers) and type 2 diabetes, but it didn't make it any easier to hear. I have been trying to maintain a reasonably healthy diet with occasional treats. That being said, this past year (or maybe more?), I have noticed a change in my appetite, leaning more towards sweets and struggling to find balance. I've also struggled to lose weight, even when I am eating healthy, with the scale constantly creeping up. Both of these symptoms are indicative of insulin problems.

So...it's time for big changes, changes that I'm honestly dreading a bit. I enjoy sweets and breads and...well, carbs. I've done Whole 30 (a 30 day fast from many foods, including carbs) and absolutely hated my life, so much so that my hubby begged me to go back to a "normal" diet. I felt absolutely horrible for weeks on that diet. As someone who enjoys food, it's hard to be told that certain foods are now no-no's. But, I am determined to find healthy ways to still enjoy food, to find true balance, and to achieve better health in the process. It's definitely going to be a process, though!

(Quick disclaimer: yes, I've heard of Keto/South Beach diet/Whole 30 and a whole host of other low- or no-carb diets. I also know there are lots of pills/shakes/drinks out there that have helped women with PCOS or those with insulin issues. While I appreciate your good intentions, please don't inundate my inbox with info on these types of things. As someone with a minor in nutrition in college, I'm pretty well aware of my options, and will be working to tailor our food choices to what will work best for my family. Thank you!)

I'm still waiting to receive test results back that will focus exclusively on hormones, so I'll update on that at a later date (probably a few weeks). For now, I'm just thankful to have some answers about what has been going on in my body. Even though the news isn't great, it's nice to have some sort of explanation and know where we need to go from here.

Comments

  1. I’m so sorry that you have to deal with the symptoms of PCOS! It must be so frustrating, to say the least. I’m seeing a functional medicine doctor this summer to try and get some help with my endometriosis. Having to be on a strict diet is so overwhelming! I hope you find a lifestyle that works for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To the one who is waiting...

Broken

Joy Amidst Chaos