Thirty Four Pounds


I think "ecstatic" could pretty much describe me right now. I started packing our closet and decided to try on some clothes I haven't worn in at least 3 years....and they FIT!! Only one dress was too tight to actually wear, and I haven't worn it in probably 5 years anyway. One of these days I'll wear it again.

My goal during my pregnancy was to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by 3 months post-delivery, and if not by then, I definitely wanted to achieve that weight by 6 months after bub arrived. I was trying to eat healthy, and I had heard stories of people back into their pre-pregnancy clothes within a couple of weeks after delivery, so I was hopeful that the weight would just melt right off. I was also motivated to exercise regularly. After all, I hadn't gained that much during pregnancy - only 35lbs, which my doctor said was fine. But, what I hadn't realized is that breastfeeding, especially exclusive breastfeeding, limits weight loss, especially initially. It was actually only in conversation with a friend that I learned that your body "holds on to" extra fat while breastfeeding in order to ensure a quality milk supply. Interesting stuff - but I was still disappointed that I wasn't instantly back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

Well, the three month mark post-baby came and went, and I still wasn't where I wanted to be.  I pretty much lost 28ish pounds within the first 2 weeks after Selah's delivery, but that last 5-7lbs was stubbornly hanging on. The exercise I'd hoped to do regularly just never seemed to happen, for one reason or another. I kinda just pushed losing weight to the backburner and figured I would worry about it when Selah was older and I had more time.

As the last few months have gone by, I've started to notice that I have lost weight. In the last month or so, I have been down to the last 3-4 lbs. Today I weighed myself and discovered I am only 1lb away from my pre-pregnancy weight!!! What an amazing feeling! The best part is that I haven't actually had to do anything to lose it, haha. I still eat the same, hardly ever get to exercise, and I'm still breastfeeding. I don't say that because it's a good thing...though it is kinda nice to be shedding pounds.

I am still about 15lbs from where I want to be - roughly where I was in the early days of college, and I know I will have to work hard to get there. But progress is progress, and today I'm just gonna celebrate the 34lbs lost, the clothes I can now wear, and the beautiful daughter I was blessed with in the midst of it all.

Comments

  1. Congratulations girl!!! I'm still 5 away from my prepregnancy weight and my son is 27 months! lol. I think i'm blaming the breastfeeding. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To the one who is waiting...

Broken

Two Steps Back