Update on Immigration Process

Things are really moving forward with my immigration process, which is very exciting. Last Wednesday we rose bright and early (around 4.45am) to get on our way for our interview up in Kansas City. I was very nervous as I had no idea what to expect in the way of questions or anything.

After a short wait in the waiting room, we were called in for our interview. It was very basic stuff for both of us - confirm your name, address, etc. In all honesty, I don't know why they even needed to confirm that stuff as we were the ones who completed the forms. About the only thing extra we did was take an oath to be honest in the interview before things started. Then, before we knew it, the lady who interviewed us was saying she would recommend our application to be approved.

Just yesterday (April 19th), we received the letters from USCIS stating that our application has been approved, and our card should be on its way within the next few weeks.

So what does all this mean?

Well, firstly, it means I no longer have to be in school, which is welcome news for me! I am definitely in need of a rest from all things school-related.

It also means I can freely travel out of the country with no restriction or need for additional paperwork!! :D

And finally, it means I am no longer here on a visa of any kind, but am officially living here permanently. While I would love to move back to Australia at some point, it is nice to know I don't have to live under the restrictions of a visa right now.

Please continue praying for us, as the immigration process is not yet over. Here's what we have left at this point:

  • After receiving my green card, I will need to schedule an appointment for my passport to be stamped and at that point I can travel with no restriction. With a trip to Australia planned within the next six months and a move in the next two months, I would really like to get this stamp quickly.
  • In two years, we will need to file another form with USCIS to remove conditions from my permanent residency. Because we have not yet been married two years, USCIS will only grant me conditional residency to ensure that I didn't get married simply to get residency.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support!

Comments

  1. That is so exciting! - Congratulations!! :) :) Look forward to seeing you whenever you make it here! xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To the one who is waiting...

Two Steps Back