Induced Lactation

So, you might be wondering--what on earth is induced lactation?! I figured I'd share some info here for those who might be curious.

What is induced lactation?
Quite simply, it's breastfeeding without pregnancy.

How does it work?
The process to get there varies from person to person, but usually involves some combination of herbs, medicines, etc. over 3-6 months to help stimulate the body to produce milk. Several months ago, I went on two medications to prepare (under the guidance of my doctor). I now pump throughout the day to encourage my body to make milk.

Why induce lactation?
It's no secret that breastmilk contains all sorts of beneficial antibodies and provides excellent nutrition. It's also a special bonding experience with your child. I felt like it was a no-brainer for me to induce lactation and give our baby the best I can. (*This is not to say formula is bad in any way, but I wanted to give nursing a shot first!)

How did you learn about this?
Induced lactation was something I looked into heavily when we were considering adoption pre-Selah. I loved the concept that I would still be able to experience breastfeeding with an adopted baby and all the many benefits as well. Well, God had other plans at that time and we ended up pregnant with Selah instead! Though our initial path to parenthood changed, my desire to breastfeed did not, and I was thrilled to have a full supply until Selah weaned at 15 months.

Fast forward 7ish years and here we are, planning on adoption once again. Having experienced breastfeeding, I was even more enthusiastic about the idea of pursuing it with our next baby.

How's it going?
I've only been pumping a couple of weeks. Typically, at this point, people are producing maybe a few drops. Some people never produce any milk or are only able to produce a small portion of their child's needs. However, God gave me peace before this journey even began that my supply would be more than enough for our baby. I am pumping about 7.5oz a day. (Newborns eat about 1-2 oz per feeding, so this is almost a full day's supply!!)

I know that this may be an uncomfortable subject for some, but I wanted to share for those who are interested in this aspect of our adoption journey. (If you have questions, feel free to ask--I'm not shy.) We are excited to welcome our baby into our home, hopefully before too long!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the one who is waiting...

Broken

Handmade jewelry giveaway!