Roots

Moving is hard, period. It doesn't matter if you move up the street or across the country or even around the world. It's all hard. (I should know--I've done all three.)


We've moved nine times in less than seven years.

I used to love it. I would just start to get annoyed by one particular thing in our home, and then find out shortly after that we were moving. It worked. It was like a brand new canvas, erasing all the quirks of the previous house and giving me a clean slate to work with.

But then one day two years ago, I wasn't excited any more. I wanted a home. I wanted to be able to enjoy a place without the next move looming over me.

At the same time, I didn't know how to do that. Our entire marriage consisted of one move after another. We had never "settled in" or painted or made a place our own. It was scary.

Right around this time, my Abba whispered to me that it was time to put down roots. A part of me wanted that security of a home, but another part of me didn't want it...I wanted to go back to the security of Georgia and the people we love. It was a struggle, but we knew this was where God wanted us.

Then we bought a house. Pretty permanent, right? Even still, I found myself thinking about the next move in the back of my mind. When would it be? How settled should I get? They were natural questions when we'd barely lived in any home for more than a year (the longest was 15 months).

Today marks 14.5 months in our home--our place to just be. I'm still figuring out this whole "settling in" 'thing', but I am really enjoying getting to take this blank ol' canvas and make it something we truly love.


Our home...before



A little addition to our front porch. :) More changes coming eventually!



Living Room Before...

 Living Room After (pre-curtains and decor)


Dining Room Before

And After!



Master Bath


And after!


There's been a whole lot of transforming going on around here, and not just in paint and fixtures. I'm changing too. I'm learning how to be "settled"--how to make this place my home.


And I've discovered that there's beauty in putting down roots.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To the one who is waiting...

Broken

Handmade jewelry giveaway!